AP Photo/Brandon Dill
Chandler Parsons said he hasn’t ruled
out an NBA comeback, but for now he remains focused on
recovering from the injuries he suffered in a January 2020 car crash.
Parsons told TMZ Sports in an interview
released Saturday that his road to recovery has been “intense,” so he hasn’t made any final decisions about his basketball future.
“We’ll see,” Parsons said.
“Working out, staying in shape but trying to still recover from
the car crash last year, so we’ll see.”
The 33-year-old was in
the midst of his ninth NBA season when he was seriously injured in
the crash. He was a member of the Atlanta Hawks at the time following stints with the Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks and Memphis
Morgan & Morgan, the law firm
representing Parsons, released a statement at the time saying he suffered
“multiple severe and permanent injuries including a traumatic
brain injury, disc herniation and a torn labrum” in the crash. The firm also alleged an impaired driver caused the three-car collision:
“Chandler was seriously injured in
this crash, which never should have occurred. The at-fault driver
created utter chaos on the roadway, needlessly endangering the lives
of countless motorists; he now stands charged with DUI, admitted
drinking, had alcohol in the car with him, passed out after causing a
three-car crash at 2:00PM on a Wednesday in a busy intersection,
seriously injuring and potentially ending Mr. Parsons’ career as a
Parsons was a second-round pick of the
Rockets in the 2011 draft after a standout college career at the
University of Florida, where he was named the SEC Player of the Year
as a senior. The forward earned NBA All-Rookie Second Team honors for the
He’s averaged 12.7 points, 4.5 rebounds
and 2.7 assists across 440 career NBA games.